Monday, June 15, 2009

Too close to the problem

This is probably the 20th time I've sat down in an attempt to complete a blog post in the past month or two. With that many "draft" posts I finally realized what the problem has been. I've been too close the problem of forensics and incident response to write. The past few months has been a period of escalating action and reaction. An arms race if ever there was one. I feel comfortable saying that I've seen more cases in the past few months than many people see all year long. I do not say this in a gloating fashion or as an indication of anything other than it's been hell. I have been too involved in many cases, cases I never wanted to but secretly hoped to see, those full of intrigue and shadowy figures that I may never get the opportunity to meet face to face, so I must battle them from afar, armed only with my knowledge of his behavior and his tools, cases involving life and death and various other types. I have had talks with various government agencies of late, and had more run-ins with local and state law enforcement than I can recall having in the past 5 years combined. I have been too deeply entrenched in a backlog of cases to see beyond a tactical level.

I guess you could say this is the fog of war. I am too close to the problem and my writing and this blog has suffered. During this time I took an old adage in to account and that adage is "You can't learn anything when you're talking". Needless to say I've learned a lot in two long months.

1 comments:

Matt C said...

Welcome back. Good problem to have I spose. :)