Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Responder Pro use case

And then conficker woke up...

It was April 10th and there was a bad moon rising. Three systems (one laptop, two desktops) woke up, updated and began attacking the network infrastructure at a customer site. Within minutes, hundreds of accounts were locked out. Within hours, all were locked out. After the initial screams for help and DoS complaints I got onsite, got the interview out of the way I was off to do the field work.

After collecting memory dumps - using FastDump Pro - I went back to the office of the local system administrator and fired up my mac and my XP virtual machine with Responder Pro installed.

After running the memory dumps through Responder Pro I did a quick analysis and compare and contrast. The questions I had to answer immediately was "HOW the hell did this happen?" and "HOW do we prevent it from happening again?"

I won't bore you with gritty details.

To answer the first question of "HOW the hell did this happen?" let's take a look. Two desktop systems and one laptop. I had my suspicions but me being me..I had to know. Using DDNA I quickly identified the injected svchost.



Next I quickly viewed the strings of the binary.


Note the telltale signature of the HTTP string http://%s/search?q=%d. That's confirmation of Conficker.

And for the coup de grace I looked at the Internet History.


That was easy. HOW the hell did this happen? The laptop user who had been out of the office for a while returned, plugged in and nailed two unpatched systems, and instructed them to download a copy from the laptop on port 4555. All told it was 15 minutes to Root Cause Analysis. That's what I like to call Rapid Assessment.

HOW the hell do we keep this from happening again? Well that's an exercise I leave to you..needless to say NAC has gained traction at this customer site.

0 comments: